SACRAMENTO, Calif. – Five Sutter hospitals have been named by Newsweek as America’s Best Maternity Hospitals of 2023. This prestigious award is presented by Newsweek and Statista Inc., a world-leading statistics portal and industry ranking provider.
Sutter network hospitals recognized by Newsweek include:
- Sutter Medical Center, Sacramento
- Sutter California Pacific Medical Center, Van Ness Campus
- Sutter Mills-Peninsula Medical Center
- Sutter Davis Hospital
- Sutter Maternity & Surgery Center of Santa Cruz
“We’re proud of the high-quality, safe and equitable care we provide to new mothers and babies,” said William Isenberg, M.D., Sutter Health chief medical and quality officer. “This recognition by Newsweek honors the tremendous work of our physicians, nurses, clinical staff and employees, and validates their commitment to delivering the very best care possible each and every day.”
Sutter has developed and implemented many programs over the years to improve the care and safety of mothers and babies through pregnancy, labor and delivery, including an Innovation Lab for Maternal Health/Birth Equity dedicated to driving more equitable health outcomes for mothers and their children.
Sutter’s efforts around maternity care have helped contribute to keeping Sutter’s C-section rates among the lowest in California for low-risk, first-time moms with normal pregnancies across all race and ethnic groups.
For America’s Best Maternity Hospitals list, Newsweek and Statista developed a complex methodology to ensure the quality and validity of the ranking. Three data sources were used for the evaluation:
- Nationwide Online Survey: A nationwide online survey in which hospital managers and maternity healthcare professionals (e.g., neonatal care providers and OB/GYNs) were asked to recommend leading maternity hospitals.
- Hospital Quality Metric: Medical key performance indicator data relevant to maternity care (e.g., a hospital’s rate of cesarean births).
- Results from Patient Surveys: Publicly available data from hospital patient surveys were used to analyze patient experience.
Newsweek and Statista invited over 10,000 medical professionals to participate in the survey. Only 384 winners were recognized on the Best Maternity Hospitals 2023 list.
The full awards list can be viewed on Newsweek‘s website.